IN POINT FORM... It all started with a simulation of the track. In 2012, the car won the championship thanks to six victories and no technical failures.
• It has rotating mass boost control with up to 12 seconds of boost available per lap. Flywheel storage system. It turns up to 45,000 rpm.
• 3.7 L diesel. V6 elec 80kw motors at front. This makes the car Quattro with the help of electric motors.
• In 2014 8 mega jewels Can be used this is roughly double the energy that can be used under the current rules.
• In 2014 new rules say new 3.7L max. 915kg. But new weight will be less, Audi believes.
• Cars will be narrower and driver will be higher. Bio fuel will be regulated in amount also for 2014.
• Maximum efficiency will be the key to winning in 2014 and beyond.
• Focus on how the different power systems interact with each other, with applications in Audi's street cars.
• Two things to come are the rear view camera to replace mirror and bright LED headlights.
• This is the last year for the R18. There have been less than 50 made. The new car will be unveiled in the new year.
By Russ Bond